nginx is a docker image where you can run a local website. I have post regarding Docker blow the post, in case you need them. We can nginx it to create a static site on localhost with Docker container.
Static/Dynamic web page
As the name indicates the content of our web app remain the same. Grab a beautiful bootstrap for quick start, I have on from https://startbootstrap.com/previews/stylish-portfolio
- Download the complete code
- Place them in a local folder (portfolio)
- Access Powers-hell/CLI/Terminal
Docker volume is allow us to host data from local system. In our case we want to copy the content of our portfolio web app to /usr/share/nginx/html (nginx folder) in the docker container.
volume can added to container using the -v or –volume label in a docuker run command. Without the :ro the data will be updated when ever a change made the source folder.
Can I dive into nginx folder ?
Yes you can explore the Linux shell using the following command with container ID/name
docker exec -it 9a99a1ad28e1 bash cd /usr/share/nginx/html ls // see all the files
Let’s create and run the container
docker run --name myapp -v e:/portfolio:/usr/share/nginx/html:ro -d -p 8080:80 nginx:latest
docker run --name myapp -v e:/portfolio:/usr/share/nginx/html -d -p 8080:80 nginx:latest
:ro stands for read only, you can remove it and the data will change as you edit the content in the source folder, in a limited sense it can be dynamic.
Go to the browser and try http:///localhost:8080
You can use the id/name to stop/start/remove the container.
docker stop 6ec62466d248 //stop container with id docker start 6ec62466d248 //start container with id docker rm 6ec62466d248 //remove the container with id
Other Docker posts you may interested in
- Docker-compose for projects - How use docker-compose to run MySQL database base for development
- Create a docker image of Node-Express API – Part II - How to build Node-Express project Docker Image using Node base image
- Create a docker image of Node-Express API – Part I - How to build Node-Express project Docker Image.
- Howto to stop all containers at once in docker - How to stop all containers in docker
- Create portfolio app with nginx in 5 minute - How to create and run bootstrap portfolio site in docker container using nginx in 5 minute
- Howto to remove all containers at once in docker - How to remove all containers in docker
- Start a nginx app container in Docker - How to run a nginx web app in Docker container
- Howto download images in Docker - How to download docker images
- Docker : A tool for developers - About Docker and containers for developing and deploying apps