nginx is a docker image where you can run a local website. I have post regarding Docker, in case you need them.
What is a container ?
A container is consisting of copy of Docker Image and an app. You can create as many containers and start/stop/remove them and link them together. Lets create a nginx server.
Run the following code in case don’t have the nginx docker image in your computer.
docker pull nginx //download the image docker images //list images
Crate a container
Let’s create container and run a sample web app
docker run --name myapp -t latest -d -p 8080:80 nginx:latest
This will run an nginx app on the local host port 8080 which is mapped to 80. To list all containers you can use either on of the command
Go to the browser and try http:///localhost:8080
docker ps // list of containers docker ps -a //stopped containers docker container ls // list of containers
You can use the id/name to stop/start/remove the container.
docker stop 6ec62466d248 //stop container with id docker start 6ec62466d248 //start container with id docker rm 6ec62466d248 //remove the container with id
Wanna remove an image ? use docker rmi <image-id>
Other Docker posts you may interested in
- Docker-compose for projects - How use docker-compose to run MySQL database base for development
- Create a docker image of Node-Express API – Part II - How to build Node-Express project Docker Image using Node base image
- Create a docker image of Node-Express API – Part I - How to build Node-Express project Docker Image.
- Howto to stop all containers at once in docker - How to stop all containers in docker
- Create portfolio app with nginx in 5 minute - How to create and run bootstrap portfolio site in docker container using nginx in 5 minute
- Howto to remove all containers at once in docker - How to remove all containers in docker
- Start a nginx app container in Docker - How to run a nginx web app in Docker container
- Howto download images in Docker - How to download docker images
- Docker : A tool for developers - About Docker and containers for developing and deploying apps