Features I love
- You can keep source code on the web
- Discuss with others
- Initially, you can host a static web page [can make static dynamic apps, with Python, we will discuss it later]
- Make changes from your computer and commit and push changes to the repository you made, changes will go online
How to host a website on GitHub?
- The first thing you need to do the GitHub software.Download and Install
- Prepare your website on your PC
- Create a repository with the following format on Github.com
- The username and subdomain should match to host the website completely, otherwise the page not go live. You can try additional website by creating another Organization and then repository
- Click the clone download the button on GitHub Pages
- Open GitHub on the PC, File-Clone Repository
- Choose the Repository Folder first, say D:/Github [ where your source code will reside ]
- Paste the clone link and it will create a folder username.github.io
- Copy all of your web pages and folders to the new folder.
- Now you need to made first commit to the master[only master branch commit will affects the website]
- Finally Push all changes back the GitHub and your site will go online.